Saturday, August 31, 2013

WHY TURKEY?

People ask me all the time “Why Turkey?

I could burn hundreds of words trying to explain how I narrowed down the list of Fulbright countries, regions, statistics, and opportunities, but in reality that would only give a portion of the story. 

What I really wish is that I could invite others into way my dad and grandparents have excited over the opportunity to share a portion of their past with me— their memories of those few years living outside Ankara in the late 1960s while my grandfather worked for Mobile Oil. The clipped newspaper articles about Turkey mailed by my granddad, my Nana’s home cooked meal from her old Turkish recipes, and my dad’s shared memories of junior high antics and reactions to life in the Middle East.

Stories of eating handful upon handful of pistachios in class and shoving the shells under desks so that “every time you moved the furniture or pushed a book in underneath, all the shells would come clattering out like the payout of a slot machine.”

Or of driving a VW bus full of blond children across the countryside and being mistaken for Germans.

Or of the brief and tragic saga of the family pet lamb that imprinted on the family pet dachshund.

I can’t wait to come back with stories of my own to contribute. :)

No comments:

Post a Comment